Thursday, December 31, 2009

Mom and dad were opposites....

...in every way I can think of. She would have been 88 this Saturday. He never saw 60.
She was a saint who had two special-needs sons, out of four, started a new job at 40...and walked across a cemetery every morning to catch a city bus to get there. He was the only person I have seen who could turn up a half-pint of whiskey and not make a face. Anybody would be hard-pressed to say something good about my dad, but I wish he was still here. Family transcends behavior. Family means..."sit here on the couch with me". Be busting out proud of your family so that nobody would dare say anything negative about them to your face.

2 comments:

  1. And he would sit on the front porch and give us those hard looks to make certain we weren't 'mis-behavin'. That photo today sure brought back memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered if your memory could go that far back. I wish I had brought you to see my mom back when we first re-connected. She would have loved to see you. I don't have many regrets, but I have that one. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete